Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, October 31, 2008

Sick Kids

I promise we will post some pics of the kiddos in their Halloween costumes & our super cool pumkins that Brando carved until 2am this morning--as soon as we find the camera. We also need to post a pic of them enjoying their new trampoline--again, must find the camera.


So for a quick update on the kiddos. They have been sick off and on (more on) for the last 4 weeks. In fact, in the last 4 weeks, I might have had 5 or 6 nights of sleep-meaning nights that I did not get up 5 or 6 or 10-15 times with a sick toddler. We even had 3 or 4 nights of up until 6am before getting a sick little one to sleep. Good times. So, it has been pretty miserable for us all. Poor things.

This last week was absolutely the worst. Kynsie started with a nasty cough and 2 days of fever. Followed by Braylen with 2 days of fever and wheezing and rattling in his chest. Then Kyan joined then fun. On that day, all 3 puked too, just for extra kicks! 4 puking episodes in one day, and guess who 'caught' and I use that phrase loosely-them all? yup. Mommy. Daddy was in the house for 2 out of 4 of them, but somehow I had a puke target on me. Nice.

Anyway--they were pitiful. Kyan had a fever for 4 days solid. Braylen required breathing treatments. We took them to a doctor, well actually I did...by myself. That was a treat. They have seen enough doctors in their short lives to last a lifetime, so a white coat is a red alert for them. Cue the meltdown. Couple that with strange nurses poking things under their arms, fevers, the only available appointment smack in the middle of nap time and the close confines of a triple stroller, 2 adults & 3 toddlers in a small sterile-ish room, and well, you are set up for disaster. They were totally freaked out, exhausted and miserable. The nurses kept making comments about them being loud and upset, and I was thinking "Seriously...are you shocked? They are 2 years old. They feel like hell, haven't had a nap and you keep poking them and messing with them. What do you expect them to do? Tap dance and sing zippidy-doo-dah?" I refrained from that little diatribe as it seemed futile at the time. The nurses were just so shocked that 3 sick toddlers would be so unhappy. Give me a freaking break. As soon as they finally stopped messing with them and left the room, I picked up Sis and Kyan and sat in the floor and just started singing and rocking them. They were both knocked out in less than 5 minutes in my arms. :( They felt so awful. Braylen was sad too b/c he needed me and wanted to be held too, but they were sicker than he was, so he was on autokid. I felt sorry for him.

'Just a virus' was the answer, so we had to go home and ride it out. Kyan's tonsils were HUGE so we went to an ENT at the recommendation of the pediatrician. No worries for the mean time. Thank you, Lord.

After our delightful Monday experience, I have decided that pediatricians should keep those minibars like you find in some hotels right there in the exam rooms. Kids losing their minds?? Just grab a jack and diet coke & a hershey bar and it will all be better fast. :) Somehow I don't think that will happen in this lifetime...too bad.

No comments: