June 17, 2010
Today was a really rough day. She hasn't been making any progress on the oscillating ventilator. Instead of being weaned from it, all the settings had to be tweaked upwards. The percent of oxygen was creeping higher, closer to 100%. And where do you go if 100% oxygen isn't working? At one point, when it did reach 100%, all the nurses and doctors rushed over, switched out her tubing, and put her back on the regular ventilator. They wanted to give her little body a break from the vibrations for a while.
Pray for healing for her little lungs. The chest x-rays don't appear to be improving. There is still quite a bit of fluid in them. And there are places in her top right lung where the alveoli are collapsed, and don't open and close as they should. And the air leak (PIE) is back.
She also had to receive another 15mL blood transfusion tonight, which means they will hold her feedings until tomorrow night.
It's so hard to have a child in the hospital; to sit and watch helplessly. But it's even harder when she doesn't seem to be improving and there's nothing I can do for her. I know God doesn't give you more than you can handle, but I'm afraid he's got a little too much faith in me right now. I mean, we haven't even closed out probate yet. It's been a tough year. I'm ready for some good news!