Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, March 02, 2009

Mom Update

Thank you for all of the prayers for us. Mom came through surgery just fine. There was some great news. She has great circulation in her feet to be diabetic. Circulation of oxygen rich blood is critical for healing. Many diabetics have poor circulation and it contributes to infections, lack of healing and ultimately amputation. Mom is not out of the woods yet, but so far, so good. It appears that the infection is Staph, but not sure what 'type' or maybe the doctor said 'strain'. The bottom line is that either of the 2 possibilities generally responds well to antibiotics. BUT--infection is relatively easy to erridicate from tissue. It is more stubborn in the bone, so there will be an aggressive onslaught of antibiotics. With diabetics, there is also a risk that this condition will be chronic/recurring, which increases the risk of amputations down the road. Obviously this is very concerning, so I asked the surgeon if she will be tested or monitored for this, and he said "We just got married. She'll be seeing a lot of me from now on". He was a quirky but SUPER COOL doctor and in his funky sense of humor he was reassuring me that he is staying on top of her condition and treatment. I like him!

So, now we wait for final results of the pathology tests and she continues treatment. She is presently off the morphine pump and is taking meds by mouth. She is no longer nauseas and vomiting...HUGE relief!

On the upside of all of this, I think she sees that her diet has to change dramatically. I gave serious consideration to cleaning out all of their cabinets and pantries and tossing everything she can't have. I never made it to the house though, so that didn't pan out. Instead, we had some very serious conversations, and I am relatively certain that this will be a tough lesson, but a lesson none the less. Basically when the choice becomes do I want a bowl of ice cream or do I want to keep my foot?, the ice cream looks a bit less enticing.

Mom has always worried over everyone else, and now it is time to worry over herself. So if you are friends with her in real life, please encourage that dietary change, exercise, etc. This little incident could have been really bad. Again, she isn't out of the woods yet, but things are looking positive.

So please keep the prayers coming. She is still in the hospital and I suspect will be for a couple more days. I will let you know when I know more.

No comments: