Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Big Speech


So I was more than a little disgruntled that the Presidential address was on and the Mentalist was not. I greatly enjoy those 1 hour vacations each evening where I can watch a good show and tune out for a bit. Now don't get me wrong, I am interested in the affairs of the nation. I watch the news and read it online, and some in the newspaper. In short, I keep up. So as I chose to go upstairs and work rather than watch the speech, I began to question my reasons.

When I was running on the treadmill yesterday CNN spent the whole broadcast touting the importance of this speech and insisting that Americans were on the edge of their seats waiting to hear Obama's news. Yahoo had the criticalness (is that a word?) of this speech plastered all over it's site. So why was I munching on graham crackers, catching up on facebook, and ordering new products instead of watching?

I did a little self-reflecting because I honestly wanted to know what my reasons were. Could it be who the President is? I can honestly say "No" to that one. He was not my choice for President, but to be truthful, I wasn't crazy about any of the options this election. I disagree with Mr. Obama on a few points, but I am not a hater either. He has done some things that I appreciate such as equal pay for equal work. That is important to women and I appreciate that support. So, it isn't the 'who' in the situation.

I think I established that it isn't that I don't care, because I definitely do. I care a great deal, and have been following the progress of the new administration and the new bills, etc.

So why then? I kept asking myself this and finally as I was crawling into bed about to do a little reading, it hit me. I don't look to our President or any other man for that matter to bring me peace, reassurance, or confidence that it is all going to be ok. He can't give me what I already have. Now before this begins to sound like a Sunday school answer, let me clarify. I am definitely worried about the state of our nation. I have friends who are laid off. We have had 2 or 3 foreclosures on our street. Retail is hurting industry-wide. Our grocery bill is $50 more per trip than it was just 6 months ago. I am definitely concerned. BUT-I have a quiet reassurance that none of this is permanent. Come what may, we are only here for a little while. We are a vapor, a mist. Here today and gone tomorrow. And no man has the power to restore us.

So as I lay down to go to sleep last night, I was grateful for a few things. Grateful that sleep does not escape me. I'm sure fatigue plays a role in that, but I also know that abiding peace does as well. I am also grateful that God holds us all in his hand. If we have cause to be concerned, He has already been at work on our behalf, before we even realized there was work to be done.

A couple of verses came to mind as I continued to think about this.

Psalm 121:1
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?

Psalm 20:7

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

I started to pray, but I fell alseep somewhere in the middle. Thank God for grace too, while I am at it. :)

No comments: